See what others have had to say in our collection of reviews.
September 27, 1995
- blast off. we be web bound.
October 26, 1995
- updated WSA_XTRA.H to avoid struct ip_mreq definition conflict with
Microsoft Visual C++ 2.0 WinSock.H (which also fixed a bug in MULTITST.EXE
using multicast on Microsoft's WinSock implementations).
- recompiled MULITITST.EXE and MULTIT32.EXE for BIN directory.
- added circular buffer to AC_FTP.C to fix problems where FTP commands
span more than one segment (thank-you Andrew Holme).
- recompiled AC_FTP.EXE and AC_FTP32.EXE for BIN directory.
- fixed some HTML syntax problems in a number of .HTM files (thank you
- fixed cbLeftToSend calculation in AS_ECHO.C (thank you Martijn Spronk).
- recompiled AS_ECHO.EXE and ASECHO32.EXE for BIN directory
- updated WSA_ALL.ZIP file with all new or updated sample source, binaries,
and web pages.
November 11, 1995
- changed SOCKETS.GIF to GIF89a interlaced format.
- updated links in Appendix E: Information Sources (A_E.HTM)
November 19, 1995
- updated Sockets logo: made smaller, added drop shadow, and made background
- added graphics elements in place of menu selections
- replaced monolithic pages with smaller pages for faster access (still
need to work on winsock.htm, and break-up the error list from appendix
- added Fox in WinSocks to Fun Stuff section.
- added book cover graphic, and links to Addison-Wesley web page
- added dev tools section
November 26, 1995
- added new entries to Dev Tools list
- updated broken links in Appendix E
- added links to other WinSock books to Appendix E
- added links to a few existing articles to Appendix E
- added We Write the Tests to Fun Stuff
December 3, 1995
- added lotsa new links to the Dev Tools section. Lots to choose from,
- added ms_icmp.htm links to ch16.htm and devtools.htm
- fixed IP_MULITICAST_TTL typo in code sample in Chapter 16 (thanks Sean
- added some personality to my name
- added "voodoo-programming" link to online Hacker's Dictionary
from Fun Stuff section
December 10, 1995
- added Microsoft Internet SDK link to dev tools. More to come from us
on this topic!
- added The Twelve Bugs of Christmas to Fun Stuff
- added search link to home page
December 17, 1995
- updated WinSock 2 status report (as per Martin Hall's recent update).
December 24, 1995
- added to bibliography in A_E.HTM.
- added book ordering information (Addison-Wesley's Book Express)
January 8, 1996 - Happy New Year!!
- updated WSA_ALL.ZIP
with latest web pages and binary, for real this time. Thanks to Rob Jellinghaus
for pointing out the file wasn't updated in October like I said it was.
Apologies to others that were inconvenienced by my oversight.
January 14, 1996
- added a Reviews page to show off Top 5% award from Point
Communications (www.pointcom.com), and comments from others
- put Fun Stuff's 12 Bugs of Christmas away for the season
- added The Charge of the Code Brigade to Fun Stuff
- added errata list to WSNP (book) information
- made a few new additions to Dev Tools
January 17, 1996
- fixed bug in multitst that prevented asynch multicast reads from working,
and uploaded updated WSA_ALL.ZIP file
- added links to sample.htm to allow downloading specific zip files for
individual sample applications
January 24, 1996
- updated the sample application zip files, to add the missing header
and library files to each
- updated the readme.txt file for the anoymous ftp site to reflect the
individual sample files available
- changed FTP servers, and updated the ftp links in a number of files
to the new relative paths the ftp server uses
February 4, 1996
- added a few newly found WSNP (book) errata to ERRATA.HTM
February 12, 1996
- Web page turned black to acknowledge the protest against the attempted
censorship of the Internet by the Telecom "Reform" act signed
by President Clinton on Feb 8 that makes "indecency" a criminal
- Added EFF co-founder, John Perry Barlow's Declaration of Cyberspace
- Updated the WinSock 2 Status: the SDK is Shipping!!
February 14, 1996
- Ended 48-hour web-page black-out.
February 19, 1996
- BIG NEWS!! WinSock 2 beta dev kit (version 1.1) now available! See
our WinSock 2 page for
March 26, 1996
- Updated errata for _Windows Sockets Network Programming_
April 4, 1996
- Updated Dev Tools page; see the link to Microsoft's WinSock DLL proprietary
function call list.
April 24, 1996
Updated the WinSock 2
page to announce the latest version of the beta SDK that has support
for Windows 95. Also included registration information for the May 13-17
WinSock 2 Bakeoff in Redmond.
- Updated errata for _Windows Sockets Network Programming_ to add (stupid)
error in IP header structure (p 475).
July 16, 1996
September 24, 1996
On Friday the 13th (of September '96), sockets.com found a new home
at Stardust Technologies, Inc. I
amnow in the process of cleaning things up, and (finally) getting around
to updating some of the information that has been (sorely) neglected for
the past few months. In particular, you can look for more updates to the
WinSock 2 section, including new sample code. I promise. :-)
- Changed address in a few files to send comments to email@example.com
- Added "Hosted by..." on the header page
- Updated the WinSock2
page with lots of new information
October 16, 1996
- Removed search icon from main menu, since that capability went away
when we changed we hosts
- Updated the WinSock 2 page (in particular, with info about the W95
- Updated errata with an error found on page 104 of WSNP (thanks Greg
January 11, 1997
- Changed the book price, according to changes at Addison-Wesley Book
- Updated the WinSock 2 page
- Updated errata with the issue about sizeof() multicast socket option
values (page 489)
April 24, 1997
- Updated the WinSock 2 page to announce new Release Candidate beta WinSock
2 SDK available for public use. This is the first widely available update
to the WinSock 2 SDK since 1.6 was released in August '97. Many bugs fixed,
and a number of features implemented, but some still remain unimplemented.
I'm working on a "Feature Status Report" that will detail the
current behavior of all new WS2 features.
May 15, 1997
- Updated the status on the WinSock 2 page (still working on comprehensive
WS2 feature status report ...ready RSN...)
- Added a very important Elvis-related document to the Fun Page ;-)
- Updated errata to add error on page 490
July 30, 1997
- Added a link to my new (non-RSA) PGP key to the cover page. I recommend
Eudora's new PGP support! Nicely done.
September 18, 1997
- Updated the WinSock 2 related pages, including adding new page lsp_ifs.htm
to provide an overview of requirements for Layered Service Providers (LSPs)
to provide Installable File System (IFS) support. The details are provided
in v2.2.1 of the WinSock 2 specification.
November 28, 1997
- Updated the WinSock 2 related pages, with new test results and updates
from Tim Moore (Microsoft's WinSock 2 Product Manager).
- Added links to the samples page to some Multicast samples available
on the net
- Added links to source code samples for Microsoft's ICMP.DLL to the
- Added new page to describe the MSWSOCK.DLL APIs wrt how it redirects
calls to WS2_32.DLL, in particular..
December 16, 1997
- Updated the WinSock 2 feature status pages
December 28, 1997
January 20, 1998
- Updated resource page (some changes, some removals,
and some new additions)
- Some incremental updates to the WinSock 2 feature status pages
January 28, 1998
- Incremental updates to the WinSock 2 feature status pages
- Edits to the MSWSOCK, MS_ICMP, and FunStuff pages
- Added new Windows CE 2.0 WinSock webpage
March 11, 1998
- Minor updates to WinSock 2 pages, Windows CE page, Dev Tools and
April 15, 1998
- Updates to Funstuff.htm (new April 1 RFCs)
- Updates to WinCE webpage (memory leak on UDP sends, and others)
November 30, 1998
- Long overdue updates throughout.
- Especially significant are updates to WinSock 2 Status for updates
on Windows 95, NT4 SP4, NT5 B2
[Go to Top]